Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Issue Of Immigration

Last week, much to the chagrin of many conservative politicians, hundreds of my south of the border brown brothers and sisters left a poverty stricken third world country and braved untold dangers to reach this country illegally. The only differences between me and them are the languages we speak and our places of birth.

They come to make a better life for themselves, and who can really blame them? I don’t know if you have ever been to Mexico, but it is a country in which you can not drink the water. I had the pleasure of living there for a bit in my younger days. It is not a pleasure I would want to take again, ever.

Make no mistake about it; these people are not invading a foreign land. If anything, they are returning home. Think about it, California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada…They all have one thing in common. They are all Spanish names. Before any of the Europeans got here all those years ago these people had roots in this land. Roots that still, in most cases, run very deep.

It often surprises me that some so called Americans have a problem with this. People everywhere are crying over jobs that have been lost to Mexicans. These people are mainly Republicans. It’s Funny how I never see a long line of Republicans waiting for that sweet job picking oranges.

Lately certain folks have felt the need to build a wall. Have we now become the Chinese trying to keep out the mongrels? I know I am not the only one who wonders if this might be going a bit far.

The fact is, we all have an immigrant in our family tree somewhere if we look far enough back, some of us closer than others. Before we are so quickly to judge others maybe we should take a good, hard look in the mirror.

Unfortunately, that is something Americans don’t do so well.

Shoutwire

No comments: