Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Christians Plan To Boycott Da Vinci Code

It was late and I was nearly asleep. I was flipping channels and happened to stop on a Christian televangelist show. I sometimes watch these types of programs simply for the comedic value of some of the things they say, plus it helps me sleep. However, this time, something they were talking about caught my attention from near R.E.M.

The wild-eyed man on the T.V. was talking about Dan Brown's popular book and soon to be released movie, “The Da Vinci Code”. There was talk of blasphemy, lies, and boycotts. He was quoting bible scriptures right and left, talking about how the false prophets will come to deceive the masses, fire and brimstone, and relating Mr. Brown to the Anti-Christ.

I have read the publication in question and enjoyed it thoroughly. In my opinion, it was a well written and well thought out story of adventure. It is the type of book that is hard to put down. I recommend it to everyone here.

To this guy on T.V. however, it was an affront to everything he holds sacred. He was actually angry over the whole thing. He called on Christians everywhere to boycott the movie and protest outside theaters. He vowed to fight this movie until the day his good lord takes him away to whatever paradise they are selling people nowadays. He never mentioned book-burning, but I could see in his eyes that he was thinking it. I wonder if he knows the book is actually a sequel?

I did some research and found this crackpot book-burner isn’t alone. There are nutjobs out there actually planning on protesting the release of this movie. It is a completely fictional story that makes no claims to be based in fact and yet there are still people who would like to see it suppressed. These are supposedly good Christians who only have our best interests in mind.

I say screw these people. Everybody go out (or download), regardless of your religious beliefs, watch this movie and enjoy it for what it is. A well put together piece of fictional work.

Also, don’t forget the eggs. You will need something to throw at the sign-wielding idiots.

Shoutwire

No comments: